We have covered this subject a few times before :
And it is such an emotive issue that we will probably keep covering it, but in a nutshell the issues are:
1) Health. Smart meters pump out a significant amount of radiation that is making people sick. There is no doubt about this. We get a regular stream of emails from those suffering the effects directly after installation. Those who are not feeling immediate effects are almost certainly having their health degraded.
2) Privacy. These smart meters can track your power usage in real time. This information could easily be processed to provide a profile of you and your family’s activities through the use of your appliances / lighting.
3) Cost. It has been globally reported that the power bills go up after the installation of these meters. I have been told that they mis-read power consumption from electronic power supplies - even when they are not powering any device.
4) Fire hazard. Smart meters have reportedly been failing and causing fires with some resultant deaths. This may not be universal as I have not heard any stories of this happening in New Zealand but there are certainly reports from the U.S.
Now I am not in any way familiar with the law and I cannot advocate any of the solutions below. So for your information only:
Solution 1: Revolution
Depending on your government and the nature of the police force in your country this could be hazardous. If you decide to go this route I have two recommendations.:
1. The more the merrier. There is strength in numbers . Collectively we can change the world if we stand together but if there is just you, the neighbor and your auntie meg you might want to do some recruiting before you start this course of action.
2. I would also recommend a number of electricians be part of this mini-revolution. I can’t work out how these guys still had power afterwards and why none of them got fried in the process!
Solution 2. Change your meter yourself.
Solution 3. Change power company.
Check the alternative power companies to see what their policies are and whether you can block the installation or get them to remove the meter. Leverage – I will buy power from you if you get rid of the meter. This works at the moment in NZ with Contact Energy (and one other company which I have forgotten the name of) and maybe others. Whether it would work elsewhere, I couldn’t say.
Big corporate brother is slowly being put in his place as we the people wake up. When we finally toss him out these meters will certainly be joining him -IMHO